Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

As a matter of personal preference I would like to see something other than gnome as default. I've had much better luck converting users from windows, specifically older and middle aged users, with xfce or lxde.

But this conversation really goes back to the init conversation. On which I suggest we go for freedom of choice and upholding principles of the Unix philosophy.

On Oct 25, 2013 12:33 PM, "Guillem Jover" <guillem@debian.org> wrote:
On Fri, 2013-10-25 at 11:07:09 +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> • On a VM, I might want to run very low-consuming software only, to lower
>   the cost of separating things into VMs of their own. (I’ll be writing a
>   syslog dæmon some day because sysklogd (three processes, c’mon!) is now
>   removed from the archive and both rsyslog and syslog-ng are waaaaaaaaay
>   too heavy-weight for this, for example.)

Before reimplementing something from scratch you might want to
consider inetutils-syslogd (which I'm pretty happy with :), or
perhaps dsyslog (although I've never tried it).

Thanks,
Guillem