Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

Am Freitag, 25. Oktober 2013, 17:32:30 schrieb Sune Vuorela:
> On 2013-10-25, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
> > Other desktop environments have similar features without requiring a
> > change of init system. It was a choice by GNOME upstream and a choice
>
> Other desktop environments either are reimplementing bits of systemd or
> is having some more or less weird bugs related to some of the issues
> the systemd suite is solving.
[…]
> Why not consolidate on shared code rather than having several bits
> providing the similar functionality for fairly simple tasks ?

I do agree to this technically.

But for me it depends on the how.

I do see quite an amount of ignorance and pushing regarding adoption of
systemd and GNOME. I fully accept that it may be difficult to agree on a way
forward… but currently I get the impression that any neither GNOME nor systemd
upstream actually cares about agreement with all involved parties. systemd
developers are not even willing to accept patches to make systemd portable.

Its this ignorance I feel uneasy about.

And then currently on Debian with systemd as PID 1 hibernation in KDE is
broken as I pointed out in my other mail. No matter where the real culprit
lies, as long I am asked for a password prior to hibernating when systemd is
PID 1 while everything works just fine with init as PID 1, systemd won´t be PID
1 on my system. I am sure that Fedora and OpenSUSE have both solved this bevor
releasing systemd as default init to the public tough. Otherwise they would
have needed to shutdown their bugzillas from their users I think.

Ciao,