Re: Proposal: let’s have a GR about the init system

Thorsten Glaser <tg@mirbsd.de> writes:
> Paul Tagliamonte <paultag <at> debian.org> writes:

>> Supporting two different init systems is something I don't think
>> *anyone* wants to get into. Remember they use different files, so this

> Erm, we already support sysv-rc, file-rc, systemd, upstart…
> so my favourite GR outcome would just say that Debian fully
> commits to continue doing that.

I think you need to put quotes around "support" in that sentence.  :)
file-rc breaks with some regularity and is only used by a tiny number of
people (so probably has more lurking problems).  systemd and upstart are
currently only "supported" in compatibility mode where they're effectively
degrading to a fancy version of sysvinit for nearly everything they're
doing.

Fully supporting an init system means, among other things, writing or
generating native configuration files for that init system so that we can
take full (or at least fuller) advantage of its capabilities.  We're
currently not doing that for anything other than sysvinit.

I still think it would be nice to try supporting both upstart and systemd
in the short term and see which one works out better for Debian's needs,
and which gets the most developer support, since I think we still have a
lack of data.  But, in the long run, I think Debian would be much better
served by picking one and, as Matthias so aptly put it, making it awesome.