Re: Proposal: let’s have a GR about the init system

2013/10/25 Thorsten Glaser <tg@mirbsd.de>:
> Paul Tagliamonte <paultag <at> debian.org> writes:
>
>>    Decide any technical matter where Developers' jurisdictions overlap.
>
> This is more or less a political question (and one of trust and one to
> FINALLY decide what package maintainers and porters can depend on, so
> that we can move on).
No, it is a technical question and a question of what Debian should maintain.

> Also, I’d not like to “maybe have a GR later”. Let’s have one now, then
> move forward, whatever the outcome is.
>
>> Supporting two different init systems is something I don't think
>> *anyone* wants to get into. Remember they use different files, so this
>
> Erm, we already support sysv-rc, file-rc, systemd, upstart…
> so my favourite GR outcome would just say that Debian fully
> commits to continue doing that.
We support three init-systems badly. We should fully support one
init-system and make it awesome and easy to use, and not having many
half-baked solutions which are a pain to maintain.
Switching init-systems is nothing anyone would want to do, except for
maybe supporting sysvinit on kFreebsd, while supporting systemd on
Linux - but these are different OSes, and different usecases.
Cheers,
    Matthias