Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

Hi,

Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@debian.org> writes:
> How about renaming CD1 to "GNOME CD1" and make the minimal installers
> prompt which desktop to install? That is no longer having a default
> desktop.
>
> The downside would be that one download link would no longer be
> enough.

By now I no longer think this is really worth much. There shouldn't be
more unclear options when people want to download Debian.

I also don't think changing the default desktop to XFCE is a good idea:
there is the accessibility issue Lucas mentioned[1] and another mail
indicating that XFCE is short of maintainers[2]. The default desktop
should in my opinion really be a well maintained one.

  [1] <[🔎] 20131024163152.GB20516@xanadu.blop.info">http://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 20131024163152.GB20516@xanadu.blop.info>
  [2] <[🔎] CA+K2i_1Y-RF2433hHdqND0DzyWTV3f-5VnyEcb6DROFCq3_ovA@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/[🔎] CA+K2i_1Y-RF2433hHdqND0DzyWTV3f-5VnyEcb6DROFCq3_ovA@mail.gmail.com>

Finally this seems to be the wrong time and/or place to discuss these
changes. Both this thread and the "systemd effectively mandatory now due
to GNOME"[3] look like a train wreck to me where any constructive
critique will be lost by now. I'm wondering if [4] is related as quite a
lot of people complaining about GNOME depending on systemd state they
don't even use it (and thus aren't affected anyway).

  [3] <[🔎] 1382560241.6924.6.camel@heisenberg.scientia.net">http://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 1382560241.6924.6.camel@heisenberg.scientia.net>
  [4] <http://xkcd.com/386/>

Ansgar