Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

On 10/25/2013 12:08 AM, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/24/2013 17:40, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> This would mean:
> [...]
>>  * Tweak CD and installer builds:
>>    + change what happens with no desktop selected to use xfce instead
>>      of Gnome (netinst, DVD, BD etc.)
>>    + Add an explicitly-named Gnome CD#1
>>    + Remove the explicitly-named XFCE CD#1
>
> How about renaming CD1 to "GNOME CD1" and make the minimal installers
> prompt which desktop to install? That is no longer having a default desktop.

I would very much support that idea.

> The downside would be that one download link would no longer be enough.

IMO, it would be great to provide XFCE in the CD1, and warn users about
the fact that other DE will require download from internet.

On 10/25/2013 12:58 AM, Wolodja Wentland wrote:
> Another thing I like about it is that it renders headlines such as
> "Debian switches to XFCE, Gnome3 is officially horrible" pointless as
> we simply state that *all* of them are supported.

Exactly! Advertizing about the fact that Debian + Gnome doesn't fit on a
single CD, so we had no choice, would also make a lot of sense and avoid
such trouble.

Thomas