Re: Please assume good faith

Christoph Anton Mitterer <calestyo@scientia.net> writes:
> On Fri, 2013-10-25 at 09:39 +1100, Brian May wrote:

>> If you don't like Gnome, nobody is forcing you to use it.

> Well actually it's not that easy to avoid all of it, at least you get
> some libraries even when using 3rd party GTK/GNOME apps.

Meh.  That's not really using GNOME, that's just having some libraries
installed.  I used a variety of GNOME applications on WindowMaker systems
and on fvwm2 systems before I ever used the GNOME DE, and am continuing to
use some intermittantly under Xfce.  Other than occasionally getting
annoyed that installing one package I'm interested in pulls in 30-odd
shared libraries and related support packages, it's mostly a non-issue.
The average user who doesn't carefully monitor every package installed on
their system wouldn't even notice.

The only time that's annoying is when there's a dependency bug that causes
some application to pull in some GNOME system component like
NetworkManager, but those are bugs and they generally get fixed fairly
quickly when they turn up and generally aren't intentional.  (And those
are different than the topic of this thread, which isn't about application
dependencies, but about the dependency chains of core GNOME desktop
components.)