Re: Longer maintainance for (former) stable releases of Debian (Re: Dreamhost dumps Debian)

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 04:33:38PM +0200, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Michael Meskes <meskes@debian.org> wrote:
> > Anyhow, I doubt we can reasonably expect to maintain *all* packages for a
> > longer
> > period. How about starting with a defined list of packages that we do care
> > about in an LTS? I would start with just the basic system and the most
> > important server packages.
>
> Well, and how about starting to look at RFH for packages you care about
> right now and help with security (and SPU) updates right now, even without
> LTS?

How about not combining two different topics? I don't see a reason why a
discussion about a way to provide LTS needs to get shot with the suggestion to
help with some random package instead. Of course you definitely have a point in
that some/a lot of packages need work, but I think it is also reasonable to
discuss a strategy for a desirable (IMO) long-term goal.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Jabber: michael.meskes at gmail dot com