Re: Longer maintainance for (former) stable releases of Debian (Re: Dreamhost dumps Debian)

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Michael Meskes <meskes@debian.org> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 07:52:33PM +0100, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> I don't really understand it myself as server packages and their
> dependencies tend to be stable and I tend to want the latest versions of
> dovecot, unbound etc..
>
> However perhaps there is a divide here between servers which want longer
> support for few packages and desktops which want stable but secure yet
> as featureful as is sensible desktops.

I think you have a very valid point here. I kind of doubt many people would
like to run on a five year old desktop.

Anyhow, I doubt we can reasonably expect to maintain *all* packages for a longer
period. How about starting with a defined list of packages that we do care
about in an LTS? I would start with just the basic system and the most
important server packages.

Well, and how about starting to look at RFH for packages you care about right now and help with security (and SPU) updates right now, even without LTS?

O.
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>
Have you tried Knot DNS – https://www.knot-dns.cz/