Re: overriding udev rules

On 08/24/2013 03:53 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> There is a very clear standard that distinguishes globally and locally
> administered addresses.
>
> While you would possibly to buy your own OUI and make global assignments
> to your VMs, I seriously doubt you are doing that.  Don't steal address
> space.
>
> Ben.

By reading the above, I don't think I made myself clear enough.

In the case of a bare-metal driver for cloud computing IaaS, you would
an have operating system image that could be booted once on one physical
machine, then shutdown and later restarted on another hardware. In such
use case, physical hardware is used to run the virtual machine images
without virtualization. It is *not possible to choose the MAC*, as this
is the one that is physically in the hardware, though udev should
continue to behave "as if it was a virtual machine MAC address".

Therefore, I think there should be an easy, documented way, of telling
udev to behave one way or another. I'd say /etc/udev/udev.conf could be
the correct place to configure this. If we want to keep the current
behavior of double-guessing the use case of the network interface (which
I recognize is the most useful case), then it could stay as default, as
long as there is a reliable way to configure udev.

Thomas Goirand (zigo)