Re: overriding udev rules

On 08/20/2013 11:44 PM, Vincent Bernat wrote:
>  ❦ 20 août 2013 22:00 CEST, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> :
>
>>> I did not know that udev skipped (at least) persistent-net in virtual
>>> machines so I did not try without those replacement rules (how does it
>>> know it is a virtual machine?).
>>
>> Oh, missed that part! I also would be happy to know how it does it.
>
> It relies on the MAC address starting with 52:54:00 or things like that.

Oh ok. Not useful at all if you ask me. Why? Because sometimes, you
can't change the MAC address. For example, if you use the OpenStack bare
metal driver, then you continue to use virtual machine images, though
they will be used on a real hardware where you can't change the MAC
address. So this is a very wrong assumption that udev is doing here, and
we still need a way to fix it (by fixing, I mean disabling the
presistent-net rule in a non-too-hackish way).

Thomas