Re: Dreamhost dumps Debian

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 10:35:34AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> writes:

> > +++ Ian Jackson [2013-08-20 16:05 +0100]:
> >
> >> The bigger problem for a Debian LTS is this: 1. who is going to do
> >> security support for it ?

> > Ideally it would be the people that want releases supported longer -
> > e.g this dreamhost outfit, and presumably many organisations like them.

> > Security support is a very parallelisable task, so a small amout of
> > work by a lot of interested people ought to be do-able, but for
> > whatever reason this never seems to have prospered as a model. It
> > would be interesting to know why those entities that would like the
> > LTS don't choose to do this. Is it just because we don't make it easy
> > for them or because of free-loader aspects?

> > I have always thought that there was room for a business selling
> > longer-term Debian support. Maybe someone does?

> Quite.

> Perhaps we just need to have a long-term-support page with pointers to
> those willing to provide that service to others, as well as resources
> for those who would rather co-operate on providing it for themselves.

If that's all we provide, I think it's inevitable that businesses will
continue to seek more turnkey solutions for long-term OS support.  I believe
that if Debian really wants to address the support gap, it's going to
require some kind of officially-blessed security support service, and not
just a web page telling users that they have "options".

> It seems to me that doing things to keep these people cheerful should
> attract a financial reward.  If that made the somewhat more enlightened
> companies band together to share the LTS workload amongst themselves
> somehow (possibly by having a limited distribution model of some sort,
> restricted to members of the mutual-support-club) then that would be no
> bad thing either.

I agree that this is not something that's going to happen on a volunteer
basis and realistically it needs to be funded somehow.  I don't know what
the right model for funding that would be, though I think it would be better
for Debian as a whole if the end product could be made public.