Re: PulseAudio

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 08:24:26AM +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> That's not a channel weight matrix, that's a remap of the channels. It's
> not something fancy to have the rear left channel go to the rear left
> speaker.
>
> As for the channel weight matrix, it's usually the job of the AV
> amplifier to do that. And of course PulseAudio has also something like
> that: run pavucontrol and move the sliders for each channels. I don't
> see exactly the point to go to the documentation for that. PulseAudio is
> easy.

Excuse me but I can't seem to find that in pavucontrol.  All I see is a
single slider for each channel.

Ie, instead of:
1 0 0 0 0
0 1 0 0 0
0 0 1 0 0
0 0 0 1 0
0 0 0 0 1
you can have:
1   0   0 0 0
0 0.5   0 0 0
0   0 0.8 0 0
0   0   0 1 0
0   0   0 0 1
but not:
1   0   0 0 0
0 0.5 0.2 0 0
0 0.1 0.7 0 0 [these particular values don't make much sense]
0   0   0 1 0
0   0   0 0 1

That not really documented ability to remap channels allows at most
permuting them.  I also wonder what would be the purpose, unless your
setup is hard-wired at every single step, without the ability to pull
a plug and put it in correctly.

The purpose of the matrix is twofold:
* to handle placement of speakers that are not at correct angles
* properly down/up scaling signal that has more/less channels than
  you have speakers

Both of those are impossible using only capabilities PulseAudio has
(or at least exposes), while easy using ALSA.

A wish:
editing these matrices (multiple: you need one for at least 2->5.1,
5.1->5.1, 7.1->5.1) is not anything I'd expose an average user to, either.
The best GUI would be what I've once seen on some manufacturer-specific
Windows driver: you add/remove speaker icons and move them on a 2D display.
The matrices are then generated based on relative angles and distances.
Preferably together with a clone of ALSA's speaker-test.

--
ᛊᚨᚾᛁᛏᚣ᛫ᛁᛊ᛫ᚠᛟᚱ᛫ᚦᛖ᛫ᚹᛖᚨᚲ