Re: PulseAudio

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:49:07PM +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
>  ❦ 19 juillet 2013 11:56 CEST, Helmut Grohne <helmut@subdivi.de> :
>
> > So PA is not removing complexity, but adding to it. Surely a bit of
> > complexity is needed to solve sophisticated tasks, but it could indeed
> > do better. For instance pacmd list-* could get some verbosity switches
> > and hide some details in the default view. Scanning a pacmd list-sinks
> > output for the relevant info just takes too long (in addition to needing
> > to scroll the terminal).
>
> Did you see the examples of asoundrc I posted? PulseAudio removes all
> this non-sense by providing mixing in almost all situations (while Alsa
> is doing it out of the box only for analog output), correct setup of
> output (no need to remap channels), provide a sane naming of output (no
> meaningless numbered outputs),

I'm not aware of PulseAudio being capable of doing this, at least not in the
version in wheezy.  That "non-sense" of asoundrc you're speaking of is
required to have an usable multi-channel setup for N > 2.  PA will set all
weights to 1, which in a real-world room produces a worse result than a
two-speaker setup.  Unless your room is specifically built for a media
center, you can't reasonably place speakers in arbitrary places.

Not sure about current state, but at the very least a brief search doesn't
reveal any such functionality accessible to the user.  Which might mean
either that it doesn't exist or that the docs are worse than terrible.

A channel weight matrix is basic functionality for multi-channel.  ALSA
provides it from the start -- it's right in the rc you need to copy to
get any fancier setup.

And for non-fancier setups, ie, regular stereo, ALSA just works, and
PulseAudio, relying on ALSA, is nothing but an additional moving part
that can break.

--
ᛊᚨᚾᛁᛏᚣ᛫ᛁᛊ᛫ᚠᛟᚱ᛫ᚦᛖ᛫ᚹᛖᚨᚲ