Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> On 07/19/2013 06:12 PM, Mathieu Parent wrote:
>>
>> As the recommended way to install systemd is using init= and not
>> installing systemd-sysv, maybe the popcon "vote" count is the correct
>> metric?
>

> Plus, systemd isn't pulled in by anything else which means when it's
> there it's there because it was actively installed. I don't think it
> magically lands onto a user's hard disk or someone installs it just
> in order to not use it actually.

On the contrary, in experimental, gnome-shell depends on
gnome-settings-daemon, which in turn depends on systemd. I wouldn't be
surprised if this is one of the reasons sid still has version 3.4 of
the shell, rather than the latest upstream version (3.8).

If/when gnome-shell 3.8 hits unstable and systemd gets forced on end
users as well...I dare say that the general outcry here on
debian-devel would make the past network-manager related threads look
tame in comparison. I offer my deepest condolences to the gnome
maintainers in advance (I doubt that they're looking forward to
dealing with all this).

Regards,
Vincent