Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

On 07/18/2013 09:45 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
If OpenRC isn't what we need (I still believe it does address a bunch of
problems and that the fact it can work for non-Linux port is a key
factor), then I'd be for Upstart. I do maintain my packages so that they
work for both Ubuntu and Debian, having to write things for 2 init
systems would be useless added work.

Popcon however speaks a completely different language:

> http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=upstart
> http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=systemd

Currently 64 counted installations for upstart versus 1604 counted
installations for systemd with a significant drop for upstart shortly
after it surged just when upstart in Debian was updated to 1.6.

On a sidenote: Anyone can explain what could probably have caused
this sharp drop in installations? Were there any significant problems
with the current version of upstart in Debian?

Cheers,

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz