Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

On 07/18/2013 01:29 AM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> - Reliable, low-maintenance system startup (no races / ordering bugs)

Could you point at these bugs?

> - Reliable service supervision

Have you tried using rc-status? Or do you mean restarting crashed daemons?

> - Fast startup

I thought everyone claimed (including systemd supporters) that this was
a "teenager side effect" which we didn't care much about.

> - Sensible dynamic service management in response to post-boot events
>   (network up/down, device add/remove, etc).

Isn't this the role of udev?

> - Simple, declarative syntax
>
> My understanding is that OpenRC only addresses the last of these points, and
> adds nothing over sysv-rc for the rest.

I don't agree with this view, and I believe that indeed, you
miss-understood. This wiki page (which has been posted here before)
doesn't agree with your view either:

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Talk:Comparison_of_init_systems

Reducing OpenRC improvements to only the syntax of init scripts is just
not right. Cgroups support and the rc-status command alone are nice
features that you discarded/forgot/didn't know about.

Thomas