Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

On 07/19/2013 05:43 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
We try to have technical reasoning, which is (one of) the reason this
list exists. This has nothing to do with voting.

If we actually did, the choice would have already been made for systemd
long time ago. Don't make yourself any illusions. It has been explained
to you by many people before that OpenRC isn't fit for the purpose at
all and I really don't think upstart will meet the criteria either.

I thought we were making software which is to be useful for our
users in the end,...

That is the case, but not using popcon as a metric to our technical
decisions.

Well, technical reasons are obviously not counted in.

...but it turns out that according to your
line of arguments, Debian is primarily made to fuel the egos
of its developers.

Now you are crossing the line.

No, I am not. How often do I have to read people claiming that systemd
is a bad project because they don't like their upstream authors?

What else is it other than a hurt ego if some people can't cope with
the fact that both PulseAudio and systemd are actually useful software?

What's the point in delaying the decision over and over again?

1/ Don't put words in my mouth which I never used.
2/ Try to write more useful things. Doing personal attacks doesn't help.

Says the guy who posted this to back up his chain of arguments:

> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Talk:Comparison_of_init_systems

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz