Re: systemd .service file conversion

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 09:05:50PM +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> The goal is to make the boot more standard across distributions. So no
> unneeded differences in some configuration files, systemd conf files
> which are generic enough to be included upstream, etc.

> In the current state, each distribution seems to have their own sysvinit
> file in packages. All unneeded. Then there are some differences where
> some boot configuration options are stored. If you strive to keep those
> differences, then systemd is not for you. There will be some pain by
> changing existing distribution-specific tools to look for the new
> location. The existing distributions are ok with that (I talked to
> various systemd packagers from various distributions @ FOSDEM).

I'm assuming you're talking here about things like /etc/default/locale and
/etc/default/keyboard, which systemd upstream fails to handle.

I can't speak to other distributions, but in Debian, the systemd maintainers
are in no position to decide that Debian will agree to rewrite its
system-level integration code (which works quite well already,
thankyouverymuch) to conform to an arbitrary rule from systemd upstream.
This integration, which is *the very purpose* of Debian's existence, is not
for systemd upstream (or any upstream) to dictate.