Re: systemd .service file conversion

On Thu, 30 May 2013 14:16:53 +0200, Olav Vitters <olav@vitters.nl>
wrote:
>On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 12:21:33PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
>> The init system case is special because supporting another init script
>> system will most probably mean that all packages delivering an init
>> script ($ ls /etc/init.d/ | wc -l => 116 on my small notebook system)
>> will have to adapt. This is a major transition, and while we offer
>> multiple init systems as officially supported, additional work is
>> needed by all developers.
>
>The systemd files should be pushed upstream (this is what other
>distributions have done and will do). Furthermore, systemd support
>sysvinit.

How many features of systemd do we lose if we only use it to invoke
daemons via the init script compatibility layer? I doubt the change
makes sense if we end up doing things this way.

>Obviously there will be a pain when switching, but then I
>guess your argument is that any change is bad?

My argument is that the "one job one tool" approach that Unixoid OSses
use is a good approach and that I am extremely reluctant to drop it
for a topic _this_ central in the operating system.

And I am also opposing changes that will help in dropping the
"universal" out of Debian's claim.

Greetings
Marc