Re: systemd .service file conversion

Steve Langasek wrote:
> I'm assuming you're talking here about things like /etc/default/locale and
> /etc/default/keyboard, which systemd upstream fails to handle.
>
> I can't speak to other distributions, but in Debian, the systemd maintainers
> are in no position to decide that Debian will agree to rewrite its

Focusing on "position to decide" seems less than constructive.

> system-level integration code (which works quite well already,
> thankyouverymuch) to conform to an arbitrary rule from systemd upstream.
> This integration, which is *the very purpose* of Debian's existence, is not
> for systemd upstream (or any upstream) to dictate.

It makes a lot of sense to standardize those files across distributions.
You don't seem to disagree with Debian following the FHS for example (or
was your attitude to that "our current paths work quite well already,
thankyouverymuch" too?). Why would custom /etc file locations be "the
very purpose of Debian's existence" in a way that prohibits
standardization, if other filesystem layout isn't?

If you think there is something actually wrong with the default choices
currently used by systemd, a much more constructive approach would be to
get that fixed across distros, rather than have Debian use a different
custom layout. Note that standardizing on the current Debian locations
across distros would not have been a good choice for the above two
files, as they include the rather arbitrary "/default/" path.

If you oppose them just because they come from systemd upstream, well...

Of course Debian can choose to use different locations/semantics for the
files if there is some actual justification. But IMO it's completely
reasonable for upstream to decide that they should not be the ones who
bear the burden of maintaining the patches for any such distro-specific
divergences.