Re: systemd .service file conversion

2013/5/30 Marco d'Itri <md@linux.it>:
> On May 30, Mathieu Parent <math.parent@gmail.com> wrote:
>[···]
>> > There is also the "kill features Red Hat does not care about" deal,
>> Do you have an example?
> Persistent naming of network interfaces.
... is entirely optional, and can be disabled if someone doesn't want
it - but I can't see what is bad about it...
Also, rationale and introduction to this feature is nicely documented:
 http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/
Or do you mean something else?

>> > and the "invent a new a configuration files scheme because it better
>> > suits RPM and Red Hat policies" deal.
>> Do you have an example?
> The /etc/ /lib/ /usr/lib/ split with files overriding each other,
> invented because RPM systems do not prompt the user on package upgrades
> and Red Hat does not support upgrading to the next major release.
Well, that might have been one reason, but splitting the conf files
has other advantages too. I like that I have the original file as
reference, that I have very small config-override files which can
easily be backed up, and it also simplifies updates, because I don't
have to merge diffs of config files, but just need to adjust them
later, if something has changed.
So, this is not really RHEL specific, and some other non-RH software
also has this scheme of storing config files.
Regards,
    Matthias