Re: systemd .service file conversion

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 09:10:41PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > This kind of madness is precisely described here:
> > http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2008-January/msg00861.html
> [zillionth link to "linux is not about choice mail"]

Because it's a very good read, still years later. It is unfortunate
that the community hasn't learned from it.

> At Debian, traditionally we support more than one choice (at least for a
> while), until the community at large decides that option X is the best
> one (and then we drop support for all the other options). The downside
> of that is that it takes a lot longer for us to make a choice, but
> eventually you usually get the better option.

This is stockholm syndromish - because Debian is held behind times by
lack of decision making, we start finding good things in being behind.

By switching early we can affect how a piece of software will evolve.
Is there something you would like to change in systemd? Now it still
probably possible - 2 years from now it has shipped in RHEL, and books
will have been written about it - and changing it will be much harder.

So our inability choose early means that we cannot influence the
community as large - or even our own distribution in long term. While
we are busy maintaining multiple indirection layers to "support user
choice", the early switching distributions are crafting the software
that will eventually become the choice.

Riku