Re: default MTA

Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:
> On Mi, 29 mai 13, 21:52:04, Marc Haber wrote:

>> Yes. And many systems have intermittent connectivity, which rules out
>> non-queueing mini-MTAs. Exim does the Job pretty well, and people who
>> know what an MTA is will probably install their own anyway, so there is
>> no need to change.

> Exim is a listening daemon, even if it listens only on localhost in the
> default configuration. I'd prefer dma instead.

It's better to have a listening daemon on localhost.  There's no security
threat, and there's some software that can't handle invoking a sendmail
binary and always wants to speak SMTP to some port.  I've run into this
with both Java and PHP applications.  This is, of course, possible to fix,
but I can understand why Java programmers aren't thrilled by the idea of
adding UNIX-specific code to fork and execute a program (which is
something that you generally don't want to do in Java, since it's very
expensive, and which is not portable), and similarly why web developers
aren't enthused by fork and exec in a mod_php or similar context inside a
possibly threaded web server.