Re: default MTA

On 28 May 2013 13:05, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
> And on desktop systems, nobody reads local email. We might want to think
> of a better notification system, but email is definitely not fit for
> that anymore.

On desktop systems nobody reads local email because IIRC the default
email client applications do not present local email to the end-user.
Only when somebody configures, post-installation, is this local e-mail
visible.

On the other hand, on system installation we currently configure which
user account e-mail to root@ is sent to (or ask the user if he selects
a low debconf priority) and some packages will setup some tasks that
send mail to the root account which the end-user does not currently
see.

I'm not saying that email is a good notification system, but there are
definitely currently many sub-systems that use it (such as cron and
default cron tasks configured through packages). Not presenting this
information to the end-user is actually hiding problems.

Regardless of what local MTA we provide, as long as we provide one,
IMHO we should try to have local email presented to the end-user in
the default installation (i.e. in the desktop).

Regardless

Javier