Re: default MTA

On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 16:12:39, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Mi, 29 mai 13, 21:52:04, Marc Haber wrote:
> > Yes. And many systems have intermittent connectivity, which rules out
> > non-queueing mini-MTAs. Exim does the Job pretty well, and people who
> > know what an MTA is will probably install their own anyway, so there
> > is no need to change.
>
> Exim is a listening daemon, even if it listens only on localhost in the
> default configuration. I'd prefer dma instead.

Exim has options not to run a listening daemon.  From /etc/default/exim4:

# 'combined' -   one daemon running queue and listening on SMTP port
# 'no'       -   no daemon running the queue
# 'separate' -   two separate daemons
# 'ppp'      -   only run queue with /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/exim4.
# 'nodaemon' - no daemon is started at all.
# 'queueonly' - only a queue running daemon is started, no SMTP listener.
# setting this to 'no' will also disable queueruns from /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/exim4
QUEUERUNNER='combined'

The 'queueonly' option has a daemon that processes the queue for mail sent
locally via 'sendmail', yet has no listening port at all.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us