Re: default MTA

On Wed, 29 May 2013 16:07:18 +0200, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino
<jfs@debian.org> wrote:
>On 28 May 2013 13:05, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
>> And on desktop systems, nobody reads local email. We might want to think
>> of a better notification system, but email is definitely not fit for
>> that anymore.
>
>On desktop systems nobody reads local email because IIRC the default
>email client applications do not present local email to the end-user.
>Only when somebody configures, post-installation, is this local e-mail
>visible.

So we should provide means so that any newly-installed MUA sees the
local mail of the system first.

But, alas, people are going to report every single mail in the local
mailbox als Spam to their ISP.

>I'm not saying that email is a good notification system, but there are
>definitely currently many sub-systems that use it (such as cron and
>default cron tasks configured through packages). Not presenting this
>information to the end-user is actually hiding problems.

Yes. And many systems have intermittent connectivity, which rules out
non-queueing mini-MTAs. Exim does the Job pretty well, and people who
know what an MTA is will probably install their own anyway, so there
is no need to change.

Greetings
Marc