Re: default MTA

Le 28/05/2013 21:51, Adam Borowski a écrit :
> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 05:58:15PM +0200, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
>> We could imagine running a simple biff applet by default in every
>> desktop interface, and clicking it could trigger a simple mail reader,
>> configured for local mail.
>
> Why would we multiply entities without necessity?  Desktop environments
> install mail clients by default, they just should come configured to have
> local mail among the accounts.

Hi,

This would do most of the job, indeed, but not all: you still have to
run a mailreader, which webmail-only users don't.

A dedicated, simple, read-only, local-only mail reader could tell the
user that this mailbox usually contains system warnings and point them
to where to look for help if they don't understand them.

With a dedicated package, we can also try to configure (automatically of
via debconf) local mail forwarding in case of a server installation.

But your proposal looks so much simpler that it's probably the way to go.

Kind regards, Thibaut.