Re: optimizing PNGs

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 05:56:06PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> A while ago, someone raised the possibility of recompressing PNG files.
> Unlike xz, this would save space not only on mirrors but also on live
> installed systems.  PNGs are nearly incompressible so this is mostly
> independent from xz.

For anything GNOME related (ftp.gnome.org), suggest to take it there so
everyone benefits. Two solutions you could do for upstreaming it:
1. Make it part of the tarball generation ('make dist')
2. One-time optimization of the png files, then committing those

What is important to me is that when someone changes the png or adds a
new one, it is saved in the most optimal version. Doing this as a one
off without a check in place will likely make cause a regression over
time.

Long term plan (for GNOME) is doing away with differences between
tarball contents and git repository.

--
Regards,
Olav