Re: simplifying running piuparts

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 12:17:38PM +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On 21/05/13 10:48, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
> > @all maintainers: How would you like to run piuparts s.t. it easily
> > integrates into your workflow and allows improving Debian's quality?
>
> Ideally, I would like a guide to setting up piuparts in a simple,
> recommended way, which doesn't assume I already have in-depth knowledge
> of piuparts, and preferably also doesn't assume I already use pbuilder.
> piuparts.debian.org clearly has some sort of setup for "the official"
> piuparts test; I would like to be able to reproduce that without needing
> to know the fine details of how piuparts works.
>
> (I generate source packages from (git|svn)-buildpackage or debuild and
> feed them to "sbuild -As" running in a disposable schroot snapshot, to
> get the same deterministic dependency-resolution as the real buildds -
> so I don't mind one of the steps being "run these commands that use
> pbuilder to get sid, jessie, wheezy and squeeze base tarballs", but I
> don't have such tarballs at the moment, and don't immediately know how
> to make them.)

sbuild already supports running piuparts at the end of a build,
just as it supports running lintian.  However, AIUI it does require
it to be set up beforehand.  It would be really nice if it could
re-use the build chroot for its tests, or we could snapshot a second
test chroot for it.  It would be great if you could just add
--run-puiparts and have it just work with no prior setup required.

If we do require piuparts to pass in order for packages to be
accepted into unstable, and we do have a pre-unstable staging of
uploads before sanity-checking them, then we can get one or more
of the buildds to run puiparts as a standard part of the build,
and we can make it fail the build if puiparts fails.  This wouldn't
be too hard to implement.

Regards,
Roger

--