Re: /bin/sh (was Re: jessie release goals)

Le mardi 14 mai 2013 à 15:28 +0800, Thomas Goirand a écrit :
> On 05/13/2013 06:05 AM, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > Having a rock-stable PID 1 is nice and all, but it doesn’t help you if
> > something important crashes. On a production server, if apache crashes
> > and fails to reload properly because the scripts don’t get the ordering
> > right, it doesn’t help you that init is still running fine.
>
> That is quite not truth. Let's say you have a broken HDD, and that you
> forgot to setup grub on the 2nd HDD or something else that will prevent
> boot up. In one case, you're totally screwed, on the other, you just
> restart Apache !

Yes of course, because a different init system will magically make your
other disk bootable.

> > It would help you to have an init implementation that can detect which components
> > can be initialized and at what time.
>
> For that, we have stuff like monit, which have been working in production
> for years without issues, and which has some other very interesting
> features (like sending you a mail when the process changes PID).

If you use tools like monit, you should be able to understand that such
behavior should be standard for daemons shipped in Debian, and that
sysadmins should not have to configure it themselves.

Such tools also have limitations that systemd and upstart do not have,
such as having to use heuristics (sometimes convoluted ones) to detect
when a service is ready.

> You aren't much on the server things are you?

I might not have setup any datacenter in a tax haven, but next time, you
might want to look at who people are before giving them lessons,
especially when you are unable to tell the difference between an init
system and a bootloader.

kthxbye,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette