Re: jessie release goals

On 2013-05-12 18:51:10 +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Vincent Lefevre
>
> > I agree for these services (though Apache is useless after just
> > being installed, as one just has a dummy web page).
>
> So useful, since you can then put files into the docroot and serve those
> files.

But the admin needs to do something (e.g. put these files) after
installing Apache. *Just after* Apache is installed, it is useless
and it takes useless resources. It is probably not much a problem
at this time since one may think that something will shortly be
done to have useful pages, but such pages could also disappear in
the future. Let me explain with more details:

My only use of Apache on some machine is because of sensord. But
it may happen that in a few months, I would no longer need sensord
and may remove the package. In this case, it would make sense to
stop the Apache daemon automatically in order to free some resources.
This would be dependencies between services...

> (An analogy to your example could be an imap server being useless,
> since there's no mail to be fetched on a freshly installed server.)

Perhaps, if the machine is not configured yet to receive mail (even
locally). Then, see above...

> > But not for postfix, which can reject mail by default without an
> > initial configuration. Since it is not working by default, and loses
> > mail, the daemon shouldn't be enabled by default.
>
> IIRC, postfix defaults to local mail only, listening on localhost only,
> so how it would reject mail by default, I'm not sure?

According to the history of my config files, this was not the case
on my Debian machine where I installed postfix. This may depend on
the answers to some questions at install time (there is something
like that for exim, I don't remember for postfix), but in such a
case, I answered according to my use of postfix.