Re: jessie release goals

On 2013-05-07 23:53:07 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 05/07/2013 04:11 AM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > This doesn't make any sense. What is installed is a package, not
> > a service. There are packages, like rsync, that provide more than
> > a service, e.g. a client and a daemon. What if the user wants the
> > client but not the corresponding service (at any time, including
> > a short time after the installation)?
> Very bad example.

On the contrary...

> Rsync does work in many use cases without the daemon running
> (eg using rsync over ssh), and the daemon is completely optional.

This is completely what I'm complaining about: the daemon shouldn't
be enabled by default. Currently it is disabled by default, but it
may be against the future policy, in particular if *_ENABLE variables
are removed.

> Now please, do the same reasoning with some other services,
> like Apache, pure-ftpd, or bind, and explain to me why you would
> like to have these installed, but not working.

I agree for these services (though Apache is useless after just
being installed, as one just has a dummy web page). But not for
postfix, which can reject mail by default without an initial
configuration. Since it is not working by default, and loses
mail, the daemon shouldn't be enabled by default.