Re: wheezy postmortem re rc bugfixing

On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 04:51:14PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
>  * Consider other ways in which our RC-bug-fixing efforts can be
>    improved, especially during the latter part of the freeze.

I think one way to improve hard to reproduce bugs or bugs in uncommon
package would be to get more users involved. I think the way to go
there is to get users better informed about the problem. This could
come in two parts:

1) A developer (maintainer or random person doing triage) tags the bug
RFUH (request for user help) in some way. Helpfull would be a short
summary of the problem and what help is needed. E.g. needs hardware
XYZ, look for XYZ to happen and then run FOO and send the output.

2) A tool for users to run that checks the installed packages against
RFUH tags and points out matches. Maybe requirements could be checked
automatically too. So only users with hardware XYZ see the RFUH that
requires XYZ. Or RFUH could be for combinarions of packages: users of
foo + bar + baz. The goal would be to limit message to only those
users that can help.

This (2) could also be helpfull before removing packages. The tool
could warn stable users about their favourite package being in danger
of removal and get them to test out the alternatives or scream bloody
murder before it is too late. Is there already something for that?
Then it needs to be advertised more.

MfG
	Goswin