Re: jessie release goals

On 05/07/2013 04:11 AM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> This doesn't make any sense. What is installed is a package, not
> a service. There are packages, like rsync, that provide more than
> a service, e.g. a client and a daemon. What if the user wants the
> client but not the corresponding service (at any time, including
> a short time after the installation)?
Very bad example.

Rsync does work in many use cases without the daemon running
(eg using rsync over ssh), and the daemon is completely optional.

Now please, do the same reasoning with some other services,
like Apache, pure-ftpd, or bind, and explain to me why you would
like to have these installed, but not working.

Thomas