Re: alternative debian/rules

Russ Allbery <rra <at> debian.org> writes:

> Lars Wirzenius <liw <at> liw.fi> writes:
> > On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:05:30PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

> >> For the record, I completely disagree with this packaging advice.  Why
> >> carry an upstream patch when you can handle this easily during build
> >> time?

Right.

> > As much as I dislike quilt, at least it makes it easy to see what change
> > Debian is making, with regards to upstream. Embedding commands into

It’s a package that goes otherwise unpatched, and as such, patches
would add a lot of (visual and other) overhead. Additionally, I keep
my packages and patches in a VCS, with the patched tree in VCS but
not any patches, and use single-debian-patch to generate the quilt
stuff, since that was what I got during the DebČevapćičiConf talk on
using git for packaging is the only sane thing to do, and that would
be easily more obfuscating than those lines.

(Using three separate lines instead of a loop prevents needing case
handling for pax.1 and is common to people used to BSD make.)

> I tend to do this sort of manipulation in debian/rules instead of in a
> patch when whatever I'm doing feels like enabling an upstream option

And precisely that, it is: The register-setting command, prepended in
front of the nroff source, enables the upstream option for e.g. the
cpio(1) manpage to identify itself as paxcpio(1) manpage.

Neil, honestly, I’m shocked that this is the most important point of
the pax packaging to you. Who are you to decide that a simple echo|cat
prepending is obfuscating? Indeed, if this scares you you’d better keep
your hands off my packages. I agree that having other DDs being able to
patch the packages in case of need is good, but that doesn’t mean that
*every* other DD should do it. I don’t generally touch Python packages,
or library packages, for that matter, until I need to do (and then have
read up on the relevant policies etc.) either.
(Besides, this part of the build system is *working* _and_ upstream-
approved. Easy, since I’m upstream. So don’t tell me what to do. Oh,
and I use it in packaging for other distros, too.)

bye,
//mirabilos