Re: alternative debian/rules

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 01:25:00AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 04/25/2013 12:10 AM, Neil McGovern wrote:
> > If you're deliberately obfuscating debian/rules when there's no or very
> > little advantage, then you shouldn't be producing the package.
> I'm not the one claiming that using echo and cat is obfuscation!

Perhaps you should go read the bug report first. As you seem to be
unwilling to actually do research, I'll include the relevant section for
your benefit:
-----
1: deliberate obfuscation for no benefit:
echo .nr g 2 | cat - cpio.1 | \
            gzip -n9 >debian/pax/usr/share/man/man1/paxcpio.1.gz

Just add the extra top line to the upstream or create a patch already.
then you'd have something approaching sane:
   cp cpio.1 debian/pax/usr/share/man/man1/paxcpio.1
   gzip -n9  debian/pax/usr/share/man/man1/paxcpio.1

Even that is two lines repeated three times (once for each manpage)
instead of just dh_installman on a single line and a small .install
file but that just demonstrates the insanity of the current rules.
----

Neil