Re: alternative debian/rules

Neil McGovern <neilm@debian.org> writes:

> Perhaps you should go read the bug report first. As you seem to be
> unwilling to actually do research, I'll include the relevant section for
> your benefit:
> -----
> 1: deliberate obfuscation for no benefit:
> echo .nr g 2 | cat - cpio.1 | \
>             gzip -n9 >debian/pax/usr/share/man/man1/paxcpio.1.gz

> Just add the extra top line to the upstream or create a patch already.
> then you'd have something approaching sane:
>    cp cpio.1 debian/pax/usr/share/man/man1/paxcpio.1
>    gzip -n9  debian/pax/usr/share/man/man1/paxcpio.1

For the record, I completely disagree with this packaging advice.  Why
carry an upstream patch when you can handle this easily during build time?

The important point here is not whether I'm right or Neil is right.  It's
that it's a matter of opinion and personal preference, and therefore I
don't think it's an area where we should be telling other developers what
to do.

(Note that this is separate from the more general question of whether it's
worthwhile to push everyone towards using debhelper or dh or some
equivalent like CDBS.)