Re: alternative debian/rules

Russ Allbery dixit:

>That code adds the line ".nr g 2" to the start of cpio.1 and adds it to
>the package as paxcpio.1.gz.

Incidentally, there is a massive limitation of the debhelper tools:
THEY CANNOT RENAME FILES.

I’ve had to add code to debian/rules in *several* packages to copy
or rename files inside a build tree so debhelper declarative style
can pick them up and place them correctly. This is why I feel it’s
sometimes inadequate. It’s a great tool, don’t take me wrong (well
dh5 style is…), but only for *most*, not *all*, packaging situations.

By the way (don’t take this paragraph too serious), let me plug an
advertisement for two Launchpad groups (similar to those LP groups
like “people who don’t work for Canonical but are mistaken for them”):
https://launchpad.net/~cdbs-haters and https://launchpad.net/~dh7-haters

>..ie \ng==1 \{\
>..Nm mircpio
>..Nd copy file archives in and out
[…]
>This is normal *roff code familiar to anyone who writes *roff.  The above
>is a reasonably elegant

Incidentally, there comes the second limitation of Debian tools:
I first had set string variables based on \ng and used them in
the .Nm macros etc. to avoid duplication like this. But some of
the Debian tools and stuff like makewhatis didn’t like this as
they seem to parse the .Nm/.Nd lines directly, so this became a
tad less elegant.

Personally, I like the BSD solution best: we do
	nroff -mdoc -rg1 cpio.1 >mircpio.cat1
and install the preformatted manual page. But in the Debian
ecosystem, manual pages have to be installed as gzip(1)d
unformatted nroff pages, so it was done like that.

One last thing: Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:

>> And I thought it was about freedom of choice.

> "Linux is not about choice"

Debian is not (just) about Linux.

bye,
//mirabilos