Re: Bug#701536: RM: subsurface -- RoQA; unmaintained package, maintainer MIA
- To: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <email@example.com>
- Cc: Dirk Hohndel <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Khalid El Fathi <email@example.com>, Ansgar Burchardt <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, Sylvestre Ledru <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Robert Wolfe <email@example.com>, Dmitrijs Ledkovs <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Bug#701536: RM: subsurface -- RoQA; unmaintained package, maintainer MIA
- From: Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn <email@example.com>
- Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 22:35:31 +0100 (CET)
- Message-id: <alpine.DEB.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn <email@example.com>
- In-reply-to: <5133ABAA.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <20130303120604.GA18525@physik.fu-berlin.de> <alpine.DEB.email@example.com> <F2C5E82B-6AAC-402B-A557-801174A01B75@elfathi.fr> <20130303113324.466293.FMU31909@air.gr8dns.org> <5133A663.firstname.lastname@example.org> <20130303115109.883220.FMU31909@air.gr8dns.org> <5133ABAA.email@example.com>
On Sun, 3 Mar 2013, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> The license issue was just an example (hence the braces). The reasoning is
> that the Debian packaging is supposed to be independent of upstream,
> especially since we cannot always follow upstream, during a freeze, for
> Assume we have version 3.0 in Debian and upstream has 3.5 and we're frozen.
> During the freeze, someone discovers a nasty bug in subsurface which is
> considered RC (release critical) in Debian, but gets fixed in 3.5.1 upstream.
What about upstream keeping stuff on release branches (3.0, 3.0.2, 3.5,
and so on)? And doing that sort of backporting patches themselfs? How
much would that help with packaging?
> I am aware that you could probably avoid this problem with branches, but I
> think it would just make things difficult. Debian cannot simply be up-to-date
> with upstream and thus upstream shouldn't maintain the Debian-specific part.
Alright. Package maintenence stuff separated from upstream source stuff.
Did I get that right?