Re: Go (golang) packaging, part 2

On 08/02/2013 10:07, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 10:00:47AM +0800, Chow Loong Jin wrote:
> [...]
>> Well, relative to other languages, I think Python's had the most changes
>> with regards to build helper tools -- there was dh_pycentral, and
>> dh_pysupport in the past which did more or less the same thing in
>> different ways, and now we have dh_python2, and dh_python3.
>
> Yes, but this is not proliferation.  There's one standard tool for python2 -
> dh_python2 - and one for python3 - dh_python3.  (The languages have
> sufficiently different build-time and install-time requirements that it
> makes sense to have one for each.)

Agreeably so, but I don't think the justification applies for having both
python-support and python-central. Thank $deity those have been replaced by
dh_python2. A significant number of packages still show up in reverse-depends
-b, though.

>> In contrast, Mono stuff have only had the dh_cli* set of things, and Java
>> only had the javahelper bunch of things.
>
> Heh.  No, there's javahelper, and maven-debian-helper, and
> maven-repo-helper, and I'm pretty sure there was another one for another
> repo system besides maven.

Hmm, okay, I hadn't known about those. I guess that makes the Mono build helpers
the outlier then. Why can't everyone else be as awesome as us and have proper
Debhelper-based build helpers written in Perl? ;-)

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin