Re: Go (golang) packaging, part 2

On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 08:54:32AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:

> Why did Debian have to invent /usr/share/pyshared and symlink farms in
> /usr/lib/pythonX.Y instead of upstream having something like that in
> the default install and search paths?

This is all resolved now in python3.  There is no more /usr/share/pyshared
for python3, and all packages install directly to
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages.

It took a while to get there, which is regrettable, but when such changes
need to be done upstream in order to be done right, and you have a large
established user base like python does, these things can be slow moving.

> The location of .pyc files that are built at install time doesn't feel
> FHS-correct to me, /var/cache/python/X.Y/ seems better.

I think this is a minor point, honestly.  Also, I believe there are other
precedents in Debian for this kind of install-time bytecode compilation
(emacs lisp, IIRC?).

> Debian's Python build helper tools are still breeding like rabbits,
> there is a new one in experimental. I guess because the current ones
> dh_python2/dh_python3 don't handle packages that contain only code
> that runs on both python2 and python3 without changes.

pybuild is a necessary adjunct to dh_python3 that provides the dh(1) build
system integration, not an alternate build helper tool.  I don't think
"breeding like rabbits" is anywhere near the mark.