Re: Bootstrappable Debian - proposal of needed changes

Neil Williams <codehelp <at> debian.org> writes:

> I'm not sure if we are going to find this situation:
>
> Source: foo
> Build-Depends: bar <!embedded>, baz <+embedded>

(No + there.)

I for one am waiting for this to be accepted for official archive
packages, because I want to use

Build-Depends: …, dietlibc-dev <!ubuntu>, …

for a package recently in *buntu main, where dietlibc isn’t, but
where Debian builds should include it. (Actually, probably something
like <!ubuntu !nodiet>, one for each optional build dependency.)

Build profiles are not _just_ for bootstrapping, they can also help
with other obscure tasks. (Something like optional Build-Depends,
which can be done using profiles – which will be recorded using the
Profile field on the binary package – instead of the rejected
Build-Recommends.)

bye,
//mirabilos