Re: Bootstrappable Debian - proposal of needed changes

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 10:23:37 +0100
Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@debian.org> wrote:

> On 01/16/2013 08:56, Neil Williams wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 00:26:53 +0100
> > Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> wrote:
> >> Not only dpkg, but also wanna-build, sbuild, lintian, dak, and who knows
> >> what else...
> >
> > It's about which ones need to change. lintian response rates are not
> > likely to be a problem - once this gets approved. dak doesn't
> > necessarily need to do anything - most bootstrapping happens outside
> > the main archive to prepare the ground for a move into debian-ports.
> > Beyond that point, none of the bootstrapping support is required.
>
> If you want to use new Build-Depends features for packages in the main
> archive, dak needs patches too: "dak rm -R" will warn if Build-Depends
> are broken by a package removal. So it needs to be able to understand
> the field.

That depends whether bootstrapping <foo> fields need to cover the
*inclusion* of extra Build-Depends only for bootstrapping which would
not normally be installed as a default Debian build. Otherwise, dak can
have a simpler patch to just allow but ignore <foo> content in
Build-Depends.

The main archive only needs to "carry" this extra information without
needing to act upon it. If dak needs patches to allow-and-ignore the
new information, that can be done. Most bootstrapping changes are to
turn off features by not build-depending on packages which can be
turned off in debian/rules.

I'm not sure if we are going to find this situation:

Source: foo
Build-Depends: bar <!embedded>, baz <+embedded>

(especially where bar does not depend on baz and therefore standard
Debian builds would not normally install it. If bar depends on baz
then this isn't a problem and dak can ignore all the <> content
without any effects.)

We may be able to implement dak support to allow-and-ignore and then
deal with the above corner-case later.

Wookey, Johannes: has anything come up so far which would trigger this
corner case?

> python-apt would need to support the field for the same reason. And we
> would need the support in stable (or backports) for dak to use it.

backports would be manageable.

> > sbuild can use a specified bootstrapping dependency resolver, e.g. the
> > one used to test the proposal itself. (As could pbuilder.)
>
> And the official buildd network would need to use these before any
> package using build profiles in Build-Depends could be uploaded to the
> main archive.

Isn't that also a case of allow-but-ignore or
allow-with-hardcoded-default ?

--

Neil Williams