Re: [cut-team] Time to merge back ubuntu improvements!

On Jan 11, 2013, at 7:05 AM, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
>> I probably should have already sent a message a while ago on this, but
>> yes the monthly snapshots have been put on hiatus during the freeze.
>> The official d-i betas and release candidates are recommended now so
>> that they get sufficient testing and feedback before the release.
>
> Doesn't this diminish significantly the advantages of CUT? Back in the
> days of the CUT discussion, one of the main "issues" associated to
> testing is that it stops rolling during freezes.

The CUT proposal is about having regular working snapshots of testing.
While I'd like to see a rolling distribution, the work of separating it
from testing is separate to the work of having cut releases.

If we create a rolling release, the CUT snapshots will probably be the
entry point for new installations. For example, a user would download
the latest CUT, and set the sources to rolling.

If CUT is ready to be publicized, then it may well be time to see if we
can get a true rolling release going. However, there's no reason that
not having rolling should stop CUT, or that CUT would no longer be
useful because we haven't figured out rolling yet.

Ryan Hiebert