Re: Time to merge back ubuntu improvements!

On 01/03/2013 06:32 PM, gregor herrmann wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 05:12:03 +0600, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:

No, because apt-listbugs exists and provides a nice interface so users don't have to care about pinning details for themselves.

Can apt-listbugs do anything more than abort the entire transaction?

Yes, it sets up the pinning in /eta/apt/preferences and has a cronjob to
remove the pinnings once an RC bug is closed.

So immediately it aborts the installation run (which is a bit annoying) but
that's only the first time you decide to not install $package because of
$bug. After that you just won't see $package/$version until the $bug is
fixed.

That doesn't seem to match my experience.

I most commonly encounter apt-listbugs bug lists via 'apt-get dist-upgrade'. If
I say "no" in response to the list of bugs, and then run 'apt-get dist-upgrade'
again, I see the same list of bugs. (I just did this again, and checked
/et/apt/preferences ; that file does not exist, and /etc/apt/preferences.d/ is
empty.)

I don't nearly as often encounter apt-listbugs bug lists via 'apt-get install
[packagename]', but I do seem to recall that in cases where I have done so,
saying "no" and re-running the same command likewise produced the same bug list;
at the very least, it didn't try to prevent me from installing the version which
had been listed as buggy. (Nor would I want it to, at least not without a way to
override the block just as conveniently as it was set up in the first place.)

So either I'm not understanding what you mean by this description, or what
you're describing doesn't seem to be happening on my system.

--
   The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
  - LiveJournal user antonia_tiger