Re: [cut-team] Time to merge back ubuntu improvements!

On Fri, 2013-01-11 at 16:05 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> [ dropping -www, setting Mail-Followup-To: cut-team ]
>
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 04:06:00PM -0500, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, we need to advertize more about CUT. CC-ing debian-www@lists.d.o
> > > in the hope the www team can link to CUT install instructions from
> > > our home page.
> >
> > I probably should have already sent a message a while ago on this, but
> > yes the monthly snapshots have been put on hiatus during the freeze.
> > The official d-i betas and release candidates are recommended now so
> > that they get sufficient testing and feedback before the release.
>
> Doesn't this diminish significantly the advantages of CUT? Back in the
> days of the CUT discussion, one of the main "issues" associated to
> testing is that it stops rolling during freezes.

As unstable does! As a user of testing and unstable I think it is very
unfortunate that packages in unstable practically stop rolling and no
new (or bug-fixed, except RC) packages are uploaded. Only backported
packages fixing the RC bugs in unstable are updated to get them into
testing (and eventually stable). Of course the maintainers should
concentrate on the release, but I assume very many of them are idling
until the next stable is released. Some are forced to stop by the
freeze. Additionally, not everybody is able to solve all kinds of RC
bugs.

Is there a way to solve this problem? For example, when the freeze
happens, packages in unstable are marked as presumptive packages in the
new stable release. Then these packages are branched off to something
that could be called pre-testing or whatever, and sid goes on as before
the freeze.

Unfortunately experimental does not solve this issue, I think it could
remain as a staging area for packages that can break things if they were
uploaded to unstable directly.

Just my 5c.