Re: Minified javascript files

Hi,

/me put on his yui-compressor maintainer hat ;)

Le 22/08/2012 13:03, Thomas Goirand a écrit :
[About yui-compressor]

On 08/21/2012 02:49 AM, Vincent Bernat wrote:
It is not used anymore and is therefore less tested and less
trustworthy.

Sorry for the dumb questions (which are kind of conflicting each
other btw), but:
- If the only problem is testing, can't it be tested, so we know?
- If it's not trustworthy, why should it stay in Debian?

IMHO, it's obvious that yui-compressor is not - anymore - the most efficient javascript minifier and better alternative exists. It's simply not used anymore by "big players" of Javascript libs (like jQuery) so it receives less attention (even from Yahoo for YUI).

But I disagree on "trustworthy" argument :
- yui-compressor have been used for years for javascript compression (way before closure-compiler or uglifyjs) so it can't be *that* bad - as casual user of yui-compressor, I have hardly seen failure to correctly minify javascript file
- in Debian, I haven't received a bug report about any corner case

So, from my point of view, it seems that we can at least try use it as a alterntive minifier of upstream official is not available in Debian.

my 2 cents,