Re: Minified javascript files

* Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de>, 2012-08-17, 10:53:
3. Repacking the original tarball just to remove those files is extra work.

Part of the problem is that we lack good tools to do this extra work for us. Really, repacking shouldn't be a tedious operation, it shouldn't take more than 5 seconds, it shouldn't require writing two dozens lines of code and documentation. :(

But it usually does and also results in a source tarball which is missing essential pieces of the software, so people who download it for non-Debian usage will fail to run the shipped source just because we removed an otherwise free piece of software.

Meh. How is it different from the software failing to build/work because of other missing (build-)dependencies? Or: why did upstream stuffed this JavaScript blob into their tarballs in the first place? (These are serious questions, answers for which should bring us closer to a solution for the problem.)

Also, it should be noted that repacking is not the only way of satisfying DFSG§2. Others that come to my mind:

1) Ask upstream to include the full source in their tarballs! (I know, this is hard.)

2) Put the source somewhere in the debian/ directory. (Don't forget to mention this fact in the copyright file.)

3) Make a new source package containing every jQuery version existing in the wild, then build depend on that.

--
Jakub Wilk