Re: Minified javascript files

 ❦ 19 août 2012 15:11 CEST, "Bernhard R. Link" <brlink@debian.org> :

>> The difference is that we need to bug upstream about a file that we
>> won't even use. There is no real bug (not even a licensing issue).
>
> They are distributing files without source, so everyone else can either
> not just easily modify it or verify if it really does what it is
> supposed to do. This is definitely a shortcoming in what upstream ships
> and really something you should bug upstream about.

The source is one link away. People wanting the source just have to
click on the link in the header of the minified version. As for
verification, having the source next to the minified version does not
guarantee anything about the minified version, all the more that we
don't have currently in Debian Wheezy a reliable minifier.

>> We request him to add a file that we won't use anyway.
>
> There is more than just "us". If it is for us, they could just remove
> the file. It's for the people that those files is supposed to be for.
> They should have the right to change it, for which they effectively
> need the source.

Your use case is inexistant. Regular people needing the source will grab
it at http://jquery.com.

>> I don't know many upstream who have so much free time.
>
> If just adding a source file they hopefully have anyway or to remove
> a file does not take much time. (There is a lot of unmaintained
> software out there, but as I said, not much difference to getting
> any other patch in).

No, upstream usually don't have the source. They download the minified
version from jQuery website. And no upstream will remove a file that is
useful for 99.999% of his users just to please one Debian maintainer.
--
Modularise.  Use subroutines.